The Castelo do Queijo, also called Fort of S. Francisco Xavier, owes its name to the fact that, according to tradition, it was built on top of a rounded granite rock with a similar shape to that of a cheese.
Built in the 17th century for coastal defense against pirates from North Africa, the Castelo do Queijo has stone walls, shooting platforms with historical cannons, a drawbridge and a gate with Portuguese weapons.
Classified as a Property of Public Interest in 1934, its strategic location allows an exceptional look over the Atlantic Ocean, it is now possible to visit the historical-military museum and enjoy the events and cultural programming that takes place there.
Praça de Gonçalves Zarco
226 181 067